-->

Friday, May 27, 2011

Lentil and Sweet Potato Curry

Brittany here. I've been trying to use lentils more in my every day cooking. When I say "every day," I actually mean about once a month. Needless to say, it's a bit of a challenge because lentils--at least brown lentils--aren't necessarily the most appetizing legume. But boy, they sure do pack a protein punch, are an excellent source of fiber, and are food storage-friendly.

When I came across this recipe last year from a blog (now called Daily Garnish), I thought I'd give it a try. I found it to be an appetizing way to use those lentils that might be hanging around the cupboard, ready to shine.

Ingredients: Brown lentils, 2 sweet potatoes, 1/2 onion, 1 garlic clove (I used pre-minced), ginger, curry powder, cumin, bay leaf, oil for sauteing, bouillon or broth, and rice to serve the curry over.

I argue that sweet potatoes and onions are food storage-friendly because you don't need a refrigerator to store them.


Chop the onion.

Peel and chop the sweet potatoes.

Saute the onion and garlic for about five minutes in a little oil, then add the sweet potatoes, ginger, curry powder, cumin, and bay leaf, stirring to coat.

Add the cup of brown lentils, which you've already rinsed and sorted. For the record, I don't sort my legumes. I just rinse then and then pick out any that happen to look really ugly.

Add 4-5 c. broth (I made mine with chicken bouillon cubes and water)--just check the packaging to make sure the ratio is right for the lentils you're using. I found that I had a lot of extra liquid and so used a slotted spoon to serve it, which was fine. Quite honestly, I can't remember how much broth I used--just check your lentil bag so I don't get in trouble.

Bring it to a boil, then down to a simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are the right texture for you. I like mine relatively soft, so I think I let mine simmer longer.

Meanwhile, prepare some rice (I used 1 c. basmati rice to 2 c. water) for the curried lentils to be served over.

The original recipe called for brown rice, but my feeling is that for my family, getting the lentils in is a whole lot easier when there's some comforting white rice underneath. So pick your battles. Hope you enjoy it!


Lentil and Sweet Potato Curry (adapted from blog Daily Garnish)

1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. ginger
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 c. brown lentils
2 T. curry powder
1 T. ground cumin
1 bay leaf
4-5 c. broth (I made mine with chicken bouillon cubes and water)

1. Saute onions and garlic in a little oil for about 5 minutes. Then stir in sweet potatoes, ginger, curry, cumin, and bay leaf, and cook about 30 seconds.

2. Add 1 c. brown lentils and broth (check lentil packaging--I can't quite remember how much I used!)

3. Bring to a boil and then down to a simmer for about 30 minutes--I think it took me longer with the brown lentils to get them as soft as I like them. Season with salt and pepper and serve over rice.

1 comments:

lyjing said...

I just made this for my family tonight. My husband LOVED it! He said he could eat it every week. It was a simple recipe with ingredients I already had on hand. Thanks so much!